Abstract # 2226 The Study on Regulation for the Distribution of Metastatic Cervical Lymph Nodes of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma

Presenter: Sun, Ying

< Back to topics

> Cover Page, Authors, Institutions

> Purpose/Objective

> Materials/Methods

> Results

> Conclusions

> View tables/images/videos


Materials/Methods:
From Jan. 2003 to Jun. 2004, a total of 512 consecutive patients presented with untreated nondisseminated NPC and received enhanced transversal CT scan of the head and neck at the Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Center, Sun Yat-sen University. Two cases were excluded from this study because of the diagnosis of adenocarcinoma. Of the eligible 510 patients, there were 377 male and 133 female patients, with a male:female ratio of 2.8:1. The median age was 46 years (range 13 to 75). Histologically, 98.8% of the patients had World Health Organization (WHO) type II or type III, the rest (1.2%) had WHO type I. The T stage distribution according to the AJCC/UICC (2002) Staging System was as follows: T1 12.4%, T2a 2.0%, T2b 52.0%, T3 21.0%, T4 12.7%. The N stage distribution was: N0 35.9%, N1 33.1%, N2 29.0%, N3a 4.5%, N3b 7.5%. The clinical stage distribution was as follows: stage I 7.5%, IIa 1.2%, IIb 36.3%, III 31.8%, IVa 11.4% and IVb 12.0%. Nodes were considered abnormal on CT criteria of size with a axial short diametre no less than 10mm but 11mm for level IIa, necrosis, extracapsular spread and groups. The total cervical was divided into six levels according to the RTOG guidelines proposed in 2003. The enlargement of retropharyngeal lymph node was defined as primary tumor and thus was classified as T stage.






Abstracts main page


Logout